The Spacetime Metric
Thursday, September 21, 2006
  physics blogging
I don't know who originally developed the theoretical construct of a physics blog, but this construct seems to parallel string theory a lot. My apologies to "Not Even Wrong" and other dissenting blogs.
Just as string theory is an attempt to resolve the incompatibilities between quantum theory and general relativity, physics blogs could be attempts to resolve the incompatibilities between LQG people and string people. "Could be." Of course, that isn't really happening, although I hope this blog will do that.
I wonder how many physics bloggers are actually- personally- in contact with each other (by that I mean they don't just know each other through the blogging culture). I'd like to know if non-string (not necessarily contra-string) bloggers and pro-string bloggers have real discussions in real time.
I don't think too many of them do. I don't think too many people know the real identities of Angry Physics (http://angryphysics.blogspot.com/)or Absinthe (http://radio.weblogs.com/0151290/), either. If we don't know their identities, we can't really judge them, can we?
Unfortunately, I think that physics blogging (as a whole) is discouraging a lot of people from becoming physicists. (I say "as a whole" to avoid hypocrisy.) If so many people portray the physics culture as a bleak, impersonal culture... is that going to inspire people? Is that an honest portrayal? I say a resounding "no" to both questions.
 
Comments:
Look what the clueless are saying about the anthropic principle:

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=462

Even John Baez doesn't know that the "goldilocks enigma" means that life is PREDICTED to be non-existent on mars or venus for that reason. Nor does he realize that this applies to other galaxies, so it actually predicts where life is most likely to be found elsewhere in the cosmos.

I responded to him on the physicist moderated reasearch group, which should pop-up any month now under the title, "The Goldilocks Enigma".

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics.research?lnk=lr&hl=en
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
A cosmological blog designed to prevent crackpots from ruining professional physics blogs.

Name:
Location: Ocean County, NJ / Rensselaer County, NY, United States

I am an undergraduate at RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute). I enjoy reading physics blogs because I am working toward becoming a physicist. One of my objectives is to increase scientific literacy, which will prevent crackpots from attacking eminent physics blogs.

ARCHIVES
September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 /


Powered by Blogger