The Spacetime Metric
Monday, October 02, 2006
  conference
I have a temporary schedule of events at this cosmology conference. There are lectures Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning. Surprisingly, it ends on Sunday; maybe the organizers figured they should give everyone time to go home on Columbus Day. While a lot of my college friends will be going home that weekend, I will be attending my first physics conference with some of the biggest names in the world.
I'm amazed that they're having a cocktail hour Friday night; they probably figure that everyone's 21 and over. (I'm not even 19 yet.) I won't turn 21 until after college, hopefully during my first semester of grad school.
Anyway... the Reference Frame has a LONG posting: http://motls.blogspot.com/2006/10/falsifiability-in-physics.html
on how string theory can be... falsified?! Actually, the beginning of the posting states that string theory can't be falsified... but then it can? I didn't think it made much sense, and since it got only about two comments, virtually everyone else didn't understand it, either.
I hope that whoever wins the Nobel Prize tomorrow will understand it. Who knows, maybe one of the Nobelists had signed up for the physics conference... too bad he or she wouldn't be able to go to the ceremonies and the conference!
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
A cosmological blog designed to prevent crackpots from ruining professional physics blogs.

Name:
Location: Ocean County, NJ / Rensselaer County, NY, United States

I am an undergraduate at RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute). I enjoy reading physics blogs because I am working toward becoming a physicist. One of my objectives is to increase scientific literacy, which will prevent crackpots from attacking eminent physics blogs.

ARCHIVES
September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 /


Powered by Blogger